Monday, March 22, 2010

Day Four of Chemo

Another good day. No pain, no sickness or weird feelings. Sometimes I think I'm in a medical study and I'm in the placebo group and I'm not really getting any medicine. Had some visitors today and lots of energy. Had some funny phone calls. A couple of friends of mine, one owns a car repair business and the other one owns a plumbing business, asked about a procedure I might have. When I explained that I may have to have a blood transfusion before I go home (in two separate phone calls) in each case, Ken (auto repair owner) said Why would they do that? I said why would they do what? He said why would they take all the blood out with chemo in it and put in new blood that doesn't have any chemo in it. I explained to him that they just add a little bit of red blood cells. Since he is always changing oil in a car all day long he thinks you should take all the old blood out. The conversation with John, the plumber, went the same way. Why would they flush out all of the blood with chemo in it? He flushes out everything in pipes. Also, I received a very strange gift today. A big heart shaped balloon was delivered to my room today and it said "Get Well Mom." I looked at the tag and recognized the name but I still wasn't sure this was for me since I am not a mom. Then I reached into the bag and pulled out about 8 or 10 giant snicker bars and I knew right away this was for me. Thank you Haggerty family. I remain upbeat. All my numbers are going in the right direction. I still have a long road to hoe but I'm definitely up to it. I'll be back before you know it.

Rod


I'm in a more positive frame of mind now. The first few days were very scary not knowing what was going to happen to my husband. When I talk to Rod now, it is as if nothing in wrong with him because he sounds the same and has such a wonderful outlook on everything. He has touched so many lives in more ways than one and you can really feel the care and love he gives to so many. Yesterday I thought I'd let the dogs out for a walk. So I walked them down the hill side. I was going to fill up the water tank anyway so I just let them run ahead of me. Well, they saw a squirrel and they trapped it behind this little tank we have with wires running out of the pipes. The dogs go crazy for the squirrel and they move this tank and Missy gets her leg wrapped in wires. I'm on the phone with Rod, What do I do? He said get a stick and smack the dogs to get away from the tank. So I hang up the phone smacking both Barbie and Missy, who are not reacting to my commands. Now I'm am getting frustrated so I grab both of them by the collars (they really, really what that squirrel) and force them away from the tank but I have to unwrap the wire from Missy's leg first. So Barbie gets away from me and goes after that stinkin' squirrel. I'm forever trying to get the both of them away from the tank. I finally, with all my might, walked the dogs up the hill holding their collars and put them away. I told Rod, No more freedom for these animals until you come home. Well I have to say, Missy and Barbie are very obedient today.

I appreciate everyone's concerns for Rod. Thank you for keeping him in your prayers and thoughts. We just battle this one day at a time.

Julie

7 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! That lady at the gift shop is crazy!I should have known. She asked me to spell my name approximately 50 times and even asked me how to spell "thinking." And if it couldn't get any worse, she wanted to give you "fun size" Snickers. Please tell me they were regular Snicker bars. Ha Ha Anyway, I am glad you got a balloon, even though it says MOM! Ha!

    Christina Haggerty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning,
    You are amazing. Keep up the good spirit. You will beat this nasty condition. All the good vibes are coming your way through the hearts and thoughts and prayers from all your friends and family.
    Hope you get a chuckle from this. I have a really funny one, but not so sure if it is appropriate for an open forum (blog).

    Alex had a terrible day fishing on the lake, sitting in the blazing sun all day without catching a single one. On his way home, he stopped at the fishmonger and ordered four rainbow trout. He told the fishmonger, 'Pick four large ones out and throw them at me, will you?'

    'Why do you want me to throw them at you?' Asked the salesman?' So that I am able to tell my wife, in all honesty, that I caught them.' said Alex.

    'Okay, but I suggest that you take the salmon.' Why's that? 'Because your wife came in earlier today and said that if you came by, I should tell you to take salmon. That's what she'd like for supper tonight.' replied the fishmonger with a grin.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dr. Huss,
    glad to read you are handling things so well.. they talk about a "bout" of cancer and "rounds"of chemotherapy.. It is like a boxing match, stepping into the ring everyday..sounds like you are Mohammed Ali and Joe Frazier rolled into one!!!!

    so just alittle advice from a "war horse" who's been there...

    !. accept help from everyone(sometimes hard to do for someone who is always helping others)

    2.when people ask "what can I do" tell them..
    (I once "needed" movie popcorn with extra butter and a chocolate malt,, next thing I know Dianne was at my door with both, (miss her)

    3.answer the phone only when you want to.. people can always leave a message (that's what voice mail is for)

    #4 most importantly... GET WELL SOON AND HURRY BACK WE MISS YOU!!!

    Love Ya, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. dr huss did you get the ob monkey? love lily and shellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Rod! I hope you're having a good day today, and remain in a positive state of mind. Your outlook and attitude is amazing. Do you know yet when you might be discharged? I couldn't agree more with the advise Lisa posted earlier! And if you guys need anything, I certainly have the time to do it! :) Please don't hesitate to ask. Honestly. I'll just be messing around in my shop, available anytime.

    Great job on this blog, Julie.(Although that dog story sounds a little squirrely!! ) It's great to know what's happening daily.

    You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love, Don & Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Dr. & Mrs. Dirt,

    The name is really growing on me! So glad to hear your not suffering any with all the bad effects that usually go along with that poision s---! You have to tell us all what the OB monkey is... I think of you guys every day and know you will be well soon!!!

    big hugs and kisses to you!

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,guys!We all thinking about you,glad to hear you tolerating chemo well.I am using Julie's access to your blog for know.See,I am not that savvy with Internet staff-anesthesia is easier.I wish you speedy recovery,good spirit and keep your sense of humor.And page me,please,if you need help#737 2111. Mike

    ReplyDelete